Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
Could you please disclose the number of people who were charged with the following offences between 1 July 2019 - 30 June 2020 in Newcastle:
- Dangerous Driving
- Careless and inconsiderate driving and
- Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
- Could you please disclose the number of people who were charged with the driving offences at point 1,2 & 3 involving serious injury and/or death
As per our acknowledgement this request will be aggregated with that of your colleague due to time/cost constraints of the Act.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Corporate Development Department of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as attached with all the below noted.
The following offences were searched for in the disposal table where the offender was charged, the district was Newcastle and the offence was one of the following:
004/06 Causing death by careless driving when under the influence of drink or drugs
004/08 Causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving.
004/12 Causing death or serious injury by dangerous driving
004/13 Causing death by driving without due care / consideration while over prescribed limit - specified controlled drug
137/12 Careless riding by pedal cyclist
137/13 Pedal cyclist riding under the influence of drink or drugs
137/20 Rider of cycle failing to give name & address when alleged to have been cycling recklessly, dangerously, carelessly or inconsiderately
802/00 Dangerous driving
803/01 Driving or attempting to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle whilst unfit to drive through drink or drugs (only to be used where it is unclear whether it is drink or drugs)
803/09 Driving or attempting to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle whilst unfit to drive through drink or drugs - Drink
803/10 Driving or attempting to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle whilst unfit to drive through drink or drugs - Drugs
804/01 Careless driving - WITHOUT DUE CARE & ATTENTION
and any HO code beginning with 803.
- The request has asked for the number of people who have been charged, not the number of charges that have been made, offenders may have been charged with more than one offence following the arrest, only one of these charges will have been counted.
- The figures are based on the number of people that have been arrested, and the offence they were charged with.
- This FOI relates solely to charges and does not include postal requisitions or summons.
- This FOI is based on the date of arrest.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.
Driving Offences - 1093/20