Please be aware we’re making some improvements and building a new website. You can still report incidents, tell us about general intelligence or talk to us on live chat on this site. Thanks for your patience.

Find out what data we hold about you and how to access information about us.

What is the Data Protection Act?

The Data Protection Act 2018 controls how your personal information is used by organisations, businesses or the government.

What is subject access? 

You have the right to ask for a copy of records the police have about you. This is called a subject access request.


I want to know what data Northumbria Police holds about me. How do I do this?

A subject access request allows you to access the local data Northumbria Police hold about you. You can apply direct to us. 

It is not a requirement to complete a form however the form may make it easier to locate the information you require. A request can also be made verbally. 

We will require copies of relevant proof of identity as explained below.

  1. Complete the form: Subject access request form 
  2. Sent it direct to us via post to:

Information Compliance
Northumbria Police
Bedlington Police Station,
Schalksmuhle Road
NE22 7LA

Please note you cannot attend this address in person

3  Or via email: to 

4  You must also include:

  • A copy of an identification document, e.g. birth certificate, current passport
  • A copy of proof of address, e.g. a utility bill (within last 6 months) medical card or British driving licence (should you not be able to provide proof of address due to your circumstances, please contact us via email or telephone to make some other arrangements to confirm your identity)

Please do not send original documents, copies will not be returned.

No fee is applicable for this service, however a reasonable fee can be charged or a request can be refused when a request is classed as unfounded, excessive or repetitive.

We must provide you with your information within one month of receipt, however we can lawfully extend this by a further two months if your request is complex or numerous. If there is a delay in dealing with your request we will inform you within one month of receipt of the request and explain why the extension is necessary. If proof of identity is sought then the one month will commence when your identity has been confirmed.

Please note that if the data held is too large to email to an applicant then Northumbria Police will send it by post to the address provided as part of the subject access request.

Should a response be required in larger font, then this can be made available.

I want to know what information is held on national police systems about me such as conviction data. How do I find out?

If you would like access to information held on national police systems, such as the Police National Computer (PNC) you would need to contact Association of Chief Police Officers Criminal Records Office ACRO.

When making an access request, include the following information:

  • Your name and contact details.
  • Any information used by the organisation to identify or distinguish you from other people with the same name (account numbers etc).
  • Any details or relevant dates that will help it identify what you want.

For example, you may want to ask for:

  • your interview statements;
  • footage of you captured through CCTV/ other recordable devices
  • custody records
  • correspondence between the police and other organisations, such as those providing support to you.

My legal representatives need to access information held about me (and potentially other people) for civil proceedings. How do I find this out?

A suitable request can be made using: The civil disclosures form emailed to: and bacs/bank transfer of £106.80 made to the following:

Northumbria Police and Crime Commissioner

Sort Code – 20-59-42

Account No. 23741974

Using your clients name as a reference.

Further charges may apply in accordance with the National Policing Guidelines on Charging for Police Services.

I want access to information about me and potentially other people for the purpose of family proceedings. How do I do this?

  1. A suitable request can be made by using our MS Form
  2. Or by submitting a Public Law Protocol Proforma form and sending it direct to us at

National Policing Guidelines on Charging for Police Services will apply and we will return to you to explain what these are. The initial fee is £106.80 in private family law proceedings.

I represent an insurer. How do I get a crime report for the purpose of administering a claim?

An ACPO and ABI Form should be submitted via email to: and bacs/bank transfer of £152.50 made to the following:

Northumbria Police and Crime Commissioner

Sort Code – 20-59-42

Account No. 23741974

Using your clients name as a reference.

Further charges may apply in accordance with the National Policing Guidelines on Charging for Police Services.

I want access to some statistical or recorded information about Northumbria Police. How do I do this?

You can request this information from us via a Freedom of Information request.

  1. To help us quickly find the information you need:

Please tell us your name, exactly what you want to know and how you want to receive the information. 

2  Send your request direct to us by our online form 

3  Or email us your request to

Before submitting a request, please refer to our disclosure log which holds responses to other requests. This may hold the information you are looking for.

I'm applying for a visa/ work permit in Australia, Canada or New Zealand ect. How do I get a police certificate?

If you require a Police Certificate to apply for emigration visas, work permits or residency in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa and the United States should download the application from for an ACPO Police Certificate from the ACRO website.

I require a criminal record check for employment. How do I apply for this?

If you require a disclosure for employment purposes, and you live in England, Scotland or Wales, please contact your local office: 

I want my biometric data deleted from the police systems since I wasn't convicted of an offence. How do I find out more?

In certain circumstances you may apply to have your fingerprints and DNA profiles deleted from national police systems, namely the National Fingerprint Database (IDENT1) and the National DNA Database (NDNAD).

Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (which amended the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984, known as PACE) police in England and Wales are able to indefinitely retain your biometric information – including your DNA profile and fingerprints - if you have been convicted of an offence.

Under the Act, your biometric information will be immediately deleted if you were not convicted of a recordable offence, provided that specific criteria are satisfied.

Further information concerning the ‘Early Deletion Process’ can be accessed on the ACPO Criminal Records Office website.

For more information relating to the deletion of images taken in custody click here

back to top