Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
1. How many officers in your force were complained about by members of the public in the period 1 Jan 2011 to 31 Dec 2020?
2. And for each officer complained about, how many complaints did each officer receive in that period?
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Professional Standards Department of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows with the caveats below noted:
• Every effort is made to ensure that the figures presented are accurate and complete. However, it is important to note that these data have been extracted from a number of data sources used by forces for police purposes. The detail collected to respond specifically to your request is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system. As a consequence, care should be taken to ensure data collection processes and their inevitable limitations are taken into account when interpreting those data.
• The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used.
• Data has been checked for the number of complaints which have been recorded on a live system and may be subject to change after the initial extraction of data used for the purposes of this report.
• Please note the figure is the number of officers, as per your request, and is not a count of complaints received during the time period requested. One complaint may have several officers attached to it.
1&2 see attached
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.
Complaints Against Officers 2011-2020 - 1590/21