Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
1. The number of acid attacks that happened in your force area in 2015, 2016, 2017 and up to now in 2018.
2. How many, if any, "acid response kits" have been issued to officers
3. How many of these have been used.
We have now had the opportunity to fully consider your request and I provide a response for your attention.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted within Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
With regards to point 1 the below exemption applies.
As the information you have requested is accessible by other means I have not provided you with a copy of the information and will rely on Section 21 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000. You should therefore consider this a refusal for your request.
I have provided an explanation to this exemption below.
Section 21 (1) - Information accessible by other means
Information which is reasonably accessible to the applicant is exempt information.
This information has been asked for previously, released and is published on the Northumbria Police Disclosure Log. Relevant FOIs are 579/18 and 593/17.
Acid point clarification
The numbers include attacks including all types of noxious substances and it is important to recognise, that while attacks involving bleach and ammonia are taken extremely seriously, they are very different to some of the substances which have been used in other cities.
2. 67 kits have been issued forcewide with 30 spare kits available. These kits have been deployed in response vehicles across the force area to enhance the response capability to reports of such an attack.
3. The Force currently does not record this information. Additionally, replenishment figures will not provide an accurate response to your query as they may just be required as stock for storage and not to replace items used in response to a specific attack.