Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
I am writing to make a request under the Freedom of Information Act.
a) The number of car theft incidents reported to your force between 1 January 2023 and 30 June 2023;
b) The number of those incidents where a police officer arrived at the scene of the incident.
As advised earlier this request has been aggregated with your previous requests (FOI 1003/23, 1004/23 and 1006/23) with regards to time constraints under the Act, as they refer to the same subject area – Thefts.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Corporate Development Department of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
The below should be noted when viewing the figures above:
- The data has been taken from Systems, where the offence was one of the following:
- Aggravated vehicle taking;
- Theft of motor vehicle;
- Taking a motor vehicle (local sub-code for TWOC);
- Custody Code - Unauthorised taking or driving of a motor vehicle (custody code);
- Aggravated Taking where the only aggravating factor is Criminal Damage of £5,000 or under.
- The incidents were then downloaded and the police attendances gained using the 'Responded flag'.
- Every effort is made to ensure that the figures presented are accurate and complete. However, it is important to note that these data have been extracted from a number of data sources used by forces for police purposes. The detail collected to respond specifically to your request is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system. As a consequence, care should be taken to ensure data collection processes and their inevitable limitations are taken into account when interpreting those data.
- The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used.