Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
This request is made with the aims of understanding the effects, nature and occurrence of ‘weaponised COVID-19’; the use of COVID-19 as an aggravating factor in crimes against Police Officers and Police staff. I would like to request that the following information, if such data is indeed held and accessible, is disclosed:
- How many crimes, or relevant notifiable incidents (e.g. Resist arrest), with a Police Officer or Police Staff (e.g. detention officer/PCSO etc) as a victim, have been recorded with an aggravating factor (e.g. suggested COVID:19 illness factor in assault) of COVID:19 between January 2020 and the current date?
- In these instances of crimes or incidents against Police Officers and staff was an arrest made of a perpetrator?
- In cases where an arrest was made what was the listed case disposal (if known)?
- In cases where an arrest was not made what was the listed case disposal (if known)?
- What has been the gender of the perpetrator in all cases?
- What has been the gender of the victim?
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Corporate Development Department of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows. Please note that the data supplied below covers the period to 30 April 2020.
2. In 22 cases an arrest was made, however in some cases the arrest was for the original offence rather than the use of COVID-19 as a threat or weapon.
3. Charge 21.
Decision Pending = 1.
4. Other Agency Action = 1.
5. Male = 18.
Female = 5.
6. Male = 19.
Female = 4.