Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
- The total number of reports lodged of domestic abuse each year between and including 1st January and 31st December of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019.
- I would like this information broken down as specifically as possible by the nature of the offence - however this is recorded by your force.
- I would also like to obtain the data on the gender and ethnicity of the victims.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Corporate Development Department of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
To note :
- ‘Reports’ are been defined as crimes. Accordingly only crimes with the Domestic Abuse flag attached have been counted.
- In the initial count of crimes, we have only included unique crimes - if a crime had multiple victims, it has been counted once.
- In the breakdown of crimes and victims, if a crime had multiple victims, it has been counted as many times as there are victims.
- We have merged any ethnic group that does not explicitly define itself into "Unknown/Other" - this includes not stated, not understood, Regina, and Commercial/Business. This also includes any instances where this information is not provided.
- We have merged unknown and blank gender into "Unknown/Other."
The information has been provided in a format that negates the need for exemptions to be applied.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would expect that you to take into consideration the factors highlighted above so as not to mislead members of the public or official bodies or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.
With all the above noted I am able to disclose the located information to you as attached.
Domestic abuse - 1560/19