Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
1. How many referrals regarding concerns about Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) did your force receive in a) 2016 and b) 2017?
2. How many arrests regarding concerns about FGM did your force make in a) 2016 and b) 2017?
3. How many reports were submitted to the Crown Prosecution Service a) 2016 and b) 2017, and how many led to charges?
4. How much money has your force spent on FGM operations or projects in a) 2016 and b) 2017?
5. Does your force have an FGM unit or team and if so how many officers and staff are in it?
We have now had the opportunity to fully consider your request and I provide a response for your attention.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted within Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
- No information held. We do not hold a separate budget for FGM operations.
- We do not have a dedicated FGM team. We have a dedicated Safeguarding Department staffed by specialist investigators. Cases involving children and adults are investigated by the child abuse and vulnerable adult teams who are based within the 3 safeguarding hubs throughout the force area.
Additionally you should note that the information being disclosed at points 1 – 3 is unlikely to be an accurate figure as other agencies are also involved in dealing with this type of offence so not all reports will be recorded by the police.