Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
- How many cases of FGM was reported from January to December of 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 within the jurisdiction of Northumbria Police force.
- How many cases were successful apprehended in the areas and timeframe mentioned above?
- Please can you provide a further breakdown of the statistics according to FGM types as classified by NHS?
NHS classifies FGM into four types:
- type 1 (clitoridectomy) - removing part or all of the clitoris
- type 2 (excision) - removing part or all of the clitoris and the inner labia (the lips that surround the vagina), with or without removal of the labia majora (the larger outer lips)
- type 3 (infibulation) - narrowing the vaginal opening by creating a seal, formed by cutting and repositioning the labia
- other harmful procedures to the female genitals, including pricking, piercing, cutting, scraping or burning the area.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Corporate Development Department of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
2 1 case was apprehended and prevented.
1 case was a report of an earlier occasion of FGM.
1 case was inconclusive.
3 One occurrence of "Other Harmful Procedure" has been logged.
Further information on this practice can be found on the Northumbria Police website at the link provided below.