Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
1. Please could you let me know how many instances of assault on police personnel - officers/PCSOs - you have recorded between 23/3/20 and 23/6/20, and for the same three month period last year?
2. Please include the date of each assault
3. The number who were injured as a result of an assault
4. The number who were seriously injured as a result of an assault
5. How many arrests were made for these assaults?
6. How many prosecutions were made for these assaults?
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with both the Corporate Development and Criminal Justice Departments of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police, however cannot be disclosed for the following reasons.
To establish a response, at point 6 alone, would require in excess of 530 records to be located and a manually review the prosecution data undertaken. Even at a conservative estimate of 3 minutes per record, which we have considered as reasonable, we have estimated that to extract this information would take over 26 hours, therefore Section 12(1) of the Freedom of Information Act would apply. This section does not oblige a public authority to comply with a request for information if the authority estimated that the cost of complying with the request would exceed the appropriate limit of 18 hours, equating to £450.00.
You should consider this to be a refusal notice under Section 17 of the Act for your request.
However, in order to provide you with some assistance, under Section 16 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000, an initial assessment of the information that may be provided within the time constraints would be points 1 to 5 only as outlined above.
If this would be useful, you may wish to refine and resubmit your request accordingly.