Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
With regards to Online Sexual Grooming:
- How many offences relating to the online sexual grooming of children where reported between the dates of the 1st of August 2019-30th of July 2020
- How many of these reported incidents followed with an arrest.
- How many suspects have been charged following arrest.
- How many suspects are on bail with bail conditions.
- How many suspects are on bail without bail conditions.
- How many suspects are RUI.
- How many suspects have been NFA’d.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Corporate Development Department of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you however the following should be noted:
- As you sought data for offences, we have searched crimes using the following offences:
- Engage in sexual communication with a child
- Meeting a female child following sexual grooming etc. - offender 18 or over and victim under 16
- Meeting a male child following sexual grooming etc. - offender 18 or over and victim under 16
These are the only three offences that are appropriate to your request, and as such, incidences of online grooming where there is no meeting will not feature in the resulting dataset.
- Charges do not include postal requisition or summons
- The number of people on bail with bail conditions are those that were given bail with conditions following the offence, they may have subsequently been taken off bail or had their bail conditions changed.
- The suspects released under investigation may also be included in those who have bail conditions.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.
Bearing the above in mind, please see the below: