Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
1. Do you have a dedicated fraud or economic crime unit? If so, please confirm the name.
2. How many police officers/staff are employed within this department?
3. Do you have a separate asset recovery team?
4. How many police officers/staff are employed within the asset recovery team?
For the previous 5 individual years(financial or calendar, depending on how you record it)
5. Number of Cash Detention Orders requested
6. Number of Cash Detention Orders granted
7. Value of Cash Detention Orders granted
8. Number of Cash Detention Orders requested for investigations under the Fraud act
9. Number of Cash Detention Orders granted for investigations under the Fraud act
10. Value of Cash Detention Orders granted for investigations under the Fraud act
11. Number of Cash Forfeiture Orders granted
12. Value of Cash Forfeiture Orders granted
13. Number of Cash Forfeiture Orders granted for investigations under the Fraud act
14. Value of Cash Forfeiture Orders granted for investigations under the Fraud act
We have now had the opportunity to fully consider your request and I provide a response for your attention.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted within Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
1. Cyber Crime Unit – Fraud and Financial Investigation
2 x Detective Sergeants
11 x Detective Constables – Fraud Investigators (mixture of full time and reduced hours)
6 x Financial Investigators (Police Staff) 2 full time, 4 reduced hours
5. April 2013 to date is 173.
6. All above orders were granted.
8. 15 were linked to cases where the predicate offence is recorded as ‘other fraud/excise duty fraud/deception/crimes of dishonesty/embezzlement.
9. All 15 initial detentions granted.
11. 129 cash forfeiture orders granted – April 2013 to date)
12. Value of orders granted £710,907.87
13. As above, forfeiture orders are all granted under POCA 2002 and not a criminal act. However, the number of forfeiture orders linked to cases where the predicate offence is recorded as ‘other fraud/excise duty fraud/deception/crimes of dishonesty/embezzlement is 5
14. These 5 orders have a total value of £19,200.32
In addition, Northumbria Police can neither confirm nor deny that it holds any other information with regard to an exempt body as the duty in S1(1)(a) of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 does not apply by virtue of the following exemption.
Section 23(5) Information Supplied by, or concerning, certain Security Bodies
Section 23 and is a class based absolute exemption and there is no requirement to consider the public interest in this case.