Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
From 1/1/2017-28/5/2018 can you supply the following:
1) number or rapes reported in Sunderland?
2) number of sexual assaults in Sunderland?
3) number of people arrested on suspicion of rape or sexual assault in Sunderland?
4) number of people charged with rape/sexual assault in Sunderland?
5) number of convictions for rape/indecent assault in Sunderland?
We have now had the opportunity to fully consider your request and I provide a response for your attention.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Corporate Development and Criminal Justice Departments of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held in part by Northumbria Police.
Whilst the extraction of the requested data was likely to attract the exemption outlined in Section 12 of the Act (time and cost) I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows. We have done this in the spirit of the Act.
1. 440 – This includes all reports of rape which were received in this time period, regardless of when the offence was committed, but does not include attempted Rape offences.
2. 450 – Crimes where ‘assault’ is in the Home Office description.
3. 222 – Please note the number of arrests does not include suspects who have been interviewed or investigated whilst not under arrest.
4. 29 Charges
83 Postal requisitions
5. Conviction data is not the data of Northumbria Police and its attempted extraction would attract the time/cost exemption. Accordingly you may wish to direct this part of your request to the Courts.