Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
1. In relation to the Child Sex Offender Disclosure Scheme, otherwise known as "Sarah's Law", how many requests has your force received asking if someone who has sufficient access to children has a sex offender's record in the 2018 calendar year?
2. (i) In how many of these requests did the subject have a sex offender's record AND you disclosed the conviction to an interested party? (ii) Of these positive returns how many of the individuals were registered sex offenders.
3. (i) In how many of these requests did the subject have a sex offender's record AND you did NOT disclose the conviction to an interested party? (ii) In how many of these cases was the subject a registered sex offender.
4. Of the first ten cases from 1.3.2018 onwards where you disclosed an offender's record please state the main/primary offence that caused concern?
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
- i) 8
- ii) Disclosures not RSO: 2 Disclosures RSO: 6
- i) 12It should be noted that the decision to not disclose is usually based on the fact that there are no children involved or they are not deemed to be at risk or in situations where parties are already aware of offending so further disclosure is not required.
- ii) For the purposes of this request ‘record’ is defined as allegation, caution, conviction, lie on file but not RSO: 8 RSO: 4
- There are only 8 disclosures recorded from 01.03.18 and those main/primary offences were:
- Consensual sexual intercourse with female under 16
- Sexual assault against child and indecent images
- Making indecent photographs of child
- Indecent assault of child and exposure
- Make indecent photographs
- Make indecent photograph
- Sexual act with child under 16