Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
I am writing to request data under the Freedom of Information Act concerning the offences of rape and sexual assault. For the calendar years 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020, please could you tell me:
1. the number and type of crime outcomes recorded for a) rape and b) sexual assault. The outcome should follow the Home Office outcome categories (please see a list at the end of this email*). Please only include crimes that had an outcome recorded, and group them by the year the crime outcome was recorded, rather than the year the crime was first reported
2. for part 1 of this request, please provide a breakdown of the sex and ethnicity of the victims (so as to include a breakdown of crime outcome by ethnicity)
*As per Home Office police recorded crime data (page 12), the relevant crime outcome types are:
2. Caution – youths
3. Caution – adults
5. Offender died
7. Cannabis/KHAT warning
8. Community resolution
9. Not in public interest (CPS)
10. Not in public interest (police)
11. Prosecution prevented - suspect under age
12. Prosecutions prevented – suspect too ill
13. Prosecution prevented – victim/key witness dead/too ill
14. Evidential difficulties (suspect not identified; victim does not support further action)
15. Evidential difficulties (suspect identified; victim supports action)
16. Evidential difficulties (suspect identified; victim does not support further action)
17. Prosecution time limit expired
18. Investigation complete – no suspect identified
19. Action undertaken by another body/agency
20. Further investigation to support formal action to in the public interest
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Corporate Development Department of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as attached with all the below noted.
Every effort is made to ensure that the figures presented are accurate and complete. However, it is important to note that these data have been extracted from a number of data sources used by forces for police purposes. The detail collected to respond specifically to your request is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system. As a consequence, care should be taken to ensure data collection processes and their inevitable limitations are taken into account when interpreting those data.
The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.
Sexual Assault Victim Ethnicity - 777/21