Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
1. The total number of children aged 16 and under arrested in connection with any sexual offence for the calendar years 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 to date.
2. A breakdown of the ages of alleged offenders and the offences for which they were arrested, e.g. three nine year olds arrested in connection with sexual assault, two ten year olds arrested in connection with rape, etc.
3. The total number of children who were subsequently charged, broken down by calendar year.
4. A breakdown of the ages of alleged offenders and the offences for which they were arrested, e.g. three nine year olds charged with sexual assault, two ten year olds charged with rape, etc.
5. The age of the youngest person arrested in connection with a sexual offence over the period 2015 to 2018 as a whole and the offence for which they were arrested.
6. The age of the youngest person charged with a sexual offence over the period 2015 to 2018 as a whole and the offence for which they were charged.
7. The number of sexual offences recorded for each calendar year in which the location was given as a school and the perpetrator was alleged to be aged 16 or under.
We have now had the opportunity to fully consider your request and I provide a response for your attention.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Corporate Development Department of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
Data has been collated through a search of all arrests for sexual offences where the offender was 16 or under at the time of the arrest
For Q7 - this is the number of sexual offence crimes where one of the location fields were listed as 'school premises' and at least one of the offenders were 16 or under at the time the crime was created. These crimes do not necessarily relate to the arrests from Q1 - Q6.
With the above in mind please see the attached which answers your queries in full.
FOI 629-18 - Sexual Offences