Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
1. How many reports of sexual misconduct, sexual assault and rape that have the venue of a school during the following years: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and to date in 2021?
2. How many reports of sexual misconduct, sexual assault and rape were made by under 18s during the following years: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and to date in 2021?
For each report could I also request:
3. What was the final outcome (if known) of the report?
4. Was the gender of the victim (if known)?
After we sought clarity you advised:
Point 2 does not relate to schools. There is no specified venue for point 2.
Point 3 and 4 did relate to both points 1 & 2, however if this takes it over the time constraint then I'd ask that you only look at point 3 in relation to points 1 and 2 and disregard point 4.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted within Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as attached with the below noted.
• Data has been taken from the central database Crime and Victim tables.
• Some offences have miss recorded dates of births. if the offence in these cases does specify the age (eg, sexual assault on a female under 13) then these have been included, if it does not or if the age is not stated as under 18 then these have not been included.
• Of note, the two first questions relate to data sets with some crossover; it is likely, given the circumstances, that a large number of crimes will appear in both. In these cases, they have been counted in both.
• Every effort is made to ensure that the figures presented are accurate and complete. However, it is important to note that these data have been extracted from a number of data sources used by forces for police purposes. The detail collected to respond specifically to your request is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system. As a consequence, care should be taken to ensure data collection processes and their inevitable limitations are taken into account when interpreting those data.
• The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used. With all the above noted I respond as attached.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.
Sexual Offences - 664/21
FOI 664-21 Sexual Offences.pdf