Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
- For the last financial year 2018/2019 how much money was paid to officers and civilian staff of your force as compensation for personal injuries after they brought or threatened legal action against your force? (If possible please EXCLUDE the legal fees that may have been paid in these cases so that the answer is just the compensation received by the injured parties).
- How many individual claims did this represent?
- For all payments in excess of £5,000 that were paid please state (i) the amount of compensation, (ii) the cost to the force of the legal fees associated with the case, (iii) if the employee was an officer, a PCSO or a member of civilian staff and (iv) a one sentence description of the nature of the claim. Note this question relates to compensation claims paid in 2018/2019 irrespective of when the actual injury incident took place, or when the claim was lodged.
You provided clarification of your request on 22 July 2019 that you were seeking information on all employer liability cases not just those that went to court.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
- The total compensation paid in relation to Employer’s Liability civil claims for personal injury within the financial year 1 April 2018 – 31 March 2019 was £13,002.75.
- In relation to the total compensation paid of £13,002.75 within the financial year 1 April 2018 – 31 March 2019, this represents 4 Employer’s Liability claims for personal injury.
- In relation to the 4 Employer’s Liability civil claims for personal injury settled within the financial year 1 April 2018 – 31 March 19 there was one payment in excess of £5,000:-
- The total amount of compensation – Damages - £5,752.75
- The total cost of the legal fees – Claimant’s Costs - £23,000
- The claimant was a police officer
- The nature of the claim was injury to knee