Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
1. How many armed officers are there employed in the force?
2. How many of these are from BAME backgrounds?
3. How many are, specifically, black?
4. How many of these armed units have shot and killed in the last five years?
5. How many people killed by these armed units have been BAME?
6. How many people killed by these armed units have been, specifically, black?
7. How many people have these armed units have shot and wounded in the last five years?
8. How many people wounded by these armed units have been BAME?
9. How many people wounded by these armed units have been, specifically, black?
Can this data be broken down year by year? Can the total numbers be provided for the last five years, which are 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019. If the force collects data by financial year this is 2015/6, 2016/7, 2017/8, 2018/9, and 2019/2020.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Operations & People Services Departments of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Firearms Support Unit 102 102 125 1139 145
The above are the establishment figures for the Firearms Support Unit and are based on historical system data ran as of January 1st each year.
Inspector Firearms Support Unit
Sergeant Firearms Support Unit
Constable Firearms Support Unit
Sergeant Firearms Trainer
Constable Firearms Trainer
2. Currently 4. This stood at 5 during 2015/16/17/18/19.
3. Currently nil. This stood at 1 during 2015/16/17/18/19.
7. Nil (other than 1 fatality mentioned above).