Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
- How many police officers are currently trained to use of a Taser.
- Which departments/units (i.e. Roads Policing/Neighbourhood Policing) contain officers who carry Tasers.
- Do you intend to increase the number of Taser trained officers over the next 12 months.
- If so, by how many.
- Are Tasers issued to any officer who wish's to undergo the training required.
We have now had the opportunity to fully consider your request and I provide a response for your attention.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the People Services Department of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held in part by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
- Officers based within Response and Neighbourhood are trained to carry Tasers, additionally there are a number of Officers throughout the Force and in specialist roles who are Taser trained.
- This has not yet been ratified.
- Tasers are not issued to untrained Officers. If an officer wishes to be considered for training to use a Taser, it is placed within their Personal Development Plan to enable appropriate approval to be given by supervision.