Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
I am seeking up-to-date information about the proportion of police detentions/interviews of suspects in which the requirement for an appropriate adult (as defined by the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 Codes of Practice, principally Code C paragraph 1.4) was recognised and recorded by officers.
I would be grateful if you could provide the following data for your force area, for the period of the year to March 2018, and limited to adult (persons aged 18 or over) suspects only:
1. The total number of authorised detentions
2. The total number of authorised detentions in which the need for an appropriate adult was recorded
3. The total number of voluntary interviews
4. The total number of voluntary interviews in which the need for an AA was recorded
We have now had the opportunity to fully consider your request and I provide a response for your attention.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Corporate Development Department of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
1. 27044 – This is the number of adults who have been checked into custody during 2017/18.
2. 803 – This is the number where the need for an appropriate adult has been noted.
3. 7180 – This is the number of Voluntary Attenders (adults), during 2017/18
4. 74 – Where there has been a request for an appropriate adult noted.