Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
For the area covered by the local authority of Newcastle
1. Between March 1 and August 1 2020 how many reports have been made of alleged brothel activity, and how many cited Covid-19 as a concern, and also for the same period of 2019 (excluding the Covid-19 citation).
2. How many brothel raids have been carried out between March 1 and August 1 2020, and also for the same period of 2019.
3. How many arrests have been made for prostitution and/or brothel keeping between March 1 and August 1 2020, and also for the same period of 2019.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
The following caveats should be noted
• For Q’s 1 & 3 data has been retrieved by a free-text search for the word "brothel" and reviewed. This does not allow for mis-spellings or alternate wording - the search will not pick these up.
• For Q2 we have made the assumption that by ‘raid’ we are talking about the execution of a warrant and ‘brothel’ we are taking about offences linked to sex work.
Period Reports Covid-19
March-August 2020 15 3
March-August 2019 15 n/a
2. None for either date period
March-August 2020 - 5
March-August 2019 - 8
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would expect that you to take into consideration the factors highlighted above so as not to mislead members of the public or official bodies or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.