Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
Under the Freedom of Information Act, and within the legal timeframe, from when the police were given these powers up to today (April 7).can you please tell me:
- The total number of fines issued by the force over coronavirus-related offences?
- What is the total amount of money these offenders have been fined?
- How many people have been arrested under the coronavirus legislation?
- How many people have been charged under the coronavirus legislation?
- How many people have been cautioned under the coronavirus legislation?
- If possible, can you also please tell me the nature of some of the offences?
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Corporate Development Department of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held, in part, by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
1. As the information you have requested with regards to the number of fines issued is accessible by other means we have not provided you with a copy of the information and will rely on Section 21 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000. You should therefore consider this a refusal for your request.
We have provided an explanation to this exemption below.
Section 21 (1) - Information accessible by other means
Information which is reasonably accessible to the applicant is exempt information.
This information is freely available via a search of the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC) website. The NPCC publish national statistics, every two weeks, broken down to Force level for the number of fines issued for breaches of government public health regulations. In order to aid and assist your further we have provided links below to the NPCC website for the news regarding these statistics and the data table. We would ask that you take into account the information relayed in both of the links:
Please note that this information will not be broken down any further, or provided in any other format.
2. No information held with regards to the monies from the issue of the above mentioned fines. This information may be available via the Local Authority in which the offence(s) took place and we would suggest that you direct your query to them.
3-6. No information held. There have been no such instances