Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
For the 12-month period September 2018 to August 2019 please provide:
- Number of requests for pre-charge detention in police custody that were refused
- Number of requests for pre-charge detention in police custody that were accepted
- Total number of adults held in detention
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Corporate Development Department of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held, in part, by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
It should be noted that this information has been taken from the Custody Report "Summary" spreadsheets, as follows:
- Pre-charge detention is only recorded for individuals under 18. As such, only the figures for individuals under 18 have been used to answer both Q1 and Q2.
Bearing the above in mind please see the information below:
- A total of 117 requests for pre-charge detention in police custody were refused.
- A total of 2,034 requests for pre-charge detention in police custody were accepted.
- A total of 27,512 adults held in detention.