Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
1. Has your police force updated written policies/procedures on dealing with domestic abuse perpetrated by officers/staff, since May 2019 up until May 2021?
2. If so, what changes have your force made (aka what specific steps have you included e.g. appointing an investigating officer not known to the suspect) since May 2019 up until May 2021?
3. Has your force delivered new training for staff, specifically on dealing with domestic abuse by police perpetrators, since May 2019 up until May 2021?
4. If you haven't introduced new policy/procedures or training, why not?
5. Please let me know anything else your force has done to improve its response to allegations of domestic abuse by police?
6. Do you have any plans to implement new policy or procedures in the works at the moment to be implemented after May 2021?
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Safeguarding Department of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held in part by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
4. See below.
5. See below.
Additionally, outside of the Act, I have supplied the below as further context to the above:
Measures are already in place whereby any domestic abuse investigation involving police officers/staff, would also receive a referral to Senior Management Team and the Professional Standards Department for an additional layer of oversight and scrutiny, to ensure the integrity of the investigation and to instil trust and confidence in the public that we do not discriminate nor offer any form of preferential treatment to our staff. Potential conflicts of interest are considered prior to appointing an investigator to ensure independence in the investigation. As such it has not been necessary to amend or introduce new policy and/or training.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.