Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
1. Please provide the figures for how many (i) police officers and (ii) police staff you employed each year from 2000 until 2015.
2. Please provide a break down to show how many police officers you employed at each rank (i.e. constable, sergeant, inspector, chief inspector, superintendent, chief superintendent - chief police officer ranks can be collected together in a single category) at each year.
3. Please further provide a break down for each year to show how many police officers at each rank were (i) in the uniformed branch and (ii) how many were detectives.
Note: I appreciate that there will be staffing fluctuations throughout each year, long term absences, parental leave, full-time equivalent issues etc, so please feel free to use your judgement in defining when such a personnel snapshot should be taken - though it would be preferred that such figures reflect approximate one-year gaps between them (e.g. if 2000 figures captured at 1st March 2000 then 2001 figures captured at 1st April 2001 world be fine, but at 31st December 2001 less so).
We have now had the opportunity to fully consider your request and I provide a response for your attention.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Human Resources Department of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held in part by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
1. This information is available via the below links: The first link has data from 2010 up to current and the second link has the archived data prior to 2010.
2. This information is available via the below links: The first link has data from 2010 up to current and the second link has the archived data prior to 2010.
3. No information held. Prior to 2016, police officers were not recorded specifically against uniform and detective roles therefore we are unable to determine the breakdown and provide the data.