Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
1. Could you give me details of all fires in police vehicles (engines) in the past three years. Financial years would be preferable because it makes the information more up to date. By details I mean whatever reasonable info you have logged - date, place, circumstance - eg driving or idling or crash. If there isn’t that then whatever you have in terms of of the number of incidents.
2. In the aforementioned cases could you give me make and model and age of the vehicle, and it's use within the force.
3. The cause of the fire - if determined.
We have now had the opportunity to fully consider your request and I provide a response for your attention.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Fleet Management Unit of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
1. There has been one vehicle fire during financial years 2015/16, 2016/17 and 2017/18 :-
Fire occurred 10.8.15.
Junction of A1061 and A192.
Car was responding to an incident at the time.
2. BMW 530 touring.
Vehicle registered 3.12.12.
Age at time of incident – 2 years, 8 months.
Motor Patrol car
3. The fire was contained within the engine bay, but the exact cause could not be determined. The car was not repaired – the vehicle was a total loss, and as it’s replacement had been delivered, it was withdrawn and disposed of for salvage.