Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
1. Please can you provide financial information relating to the:
a) total cost of interpreting services in the last 2 years and the number of requests made
b) total cost of translation services in the last 2 years and the number of requests made
c) total cost of BSL interpreting in the last 2 years and the number of requests made
2. I would also be grateful if you could provide us with information that includes:
a) Hourly cost of face to face interpreting services
b) Cost per minute of telephone interpreting services
c) Breakdown of the top 10 most popular languages
3. How many video interpreting sessions were made last year for all languages, including British Sign Language?
4. Can you please provide details of your current provider(s) (company name, date contract was awarded)?
5. When are your current language service contracts with your incumbent(s) due to end?
6. Please can you provide the name, job title, email address and contact number for the person(s) responsible
a) for awarding any contracts relating to these services
b) For managing the day to day running of the services
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted within Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held, in part, by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
1. No information held with regards to the number or requests made or the split between interpreting, translation and BSL interpreting. However, we can provide the total costs of translation/interpreting services as follows:
Total cost of Translation/Interpreting services £126,216 £221,662
2. a) No information held – this data is not recorded separately. Additionally you should note that had we been able to locate, extract and retrieve the information requested within the time constraints of the Act other relevant appropriate exemptions to withhold would be considered and applied where information not suitable to be disclosed into the public domain would need to be withheld.
b) As per point 2a) above.
c) The 10 most popular languages are:
• Kurdish (Sorani)
• Farsi (Persian)
3. No information held – this data is not recorded separately.
4. As the information you have requested is accessible by other means I have not provided you with a copy of the information and will rely on Section 21 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000. You should therefore consider this a refusal for your request.
I have provided an explanation to this exemption below.
Section 21 (1) - Information accessible by other means
Information which is reasonably accessible to the applicant is exempt information.
This information is freely available as it is published and open to public view and can be found on the Bluelight Procurement Database, the link is provided below:
5. As per 4 above.
6. a) The responsibility for awarding any contracts relating to these services lies with:
Mr John Spoors, Senior Procurement Officer
Via switchboard - 101
b) The responsibility for managing the day to day running of the services lies with:
Mr David Heslop, Head of Prosecution Support
Via switchboard - 101