Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
“I am requesting the following information for years 2019, 3020, 2021.
1. How many cycling close pass operations have you performed in past 3 years?
2. a. What road classifications (A roads, B roads) do you perform these operations?
b. What days of the week & times of day are these performed &
c. What duration of time is spent out on these operations?
3. a. During these operations, how many close passes occured &
b. How many motorists were provided advice?
4. What methods of education were used, visual sids or verbal advice only?
5. a. Do you have a standard process/script of what advice you give & if so may i have a copy?.
b. If no set process, how do you ensure consistency in your advice?
6. a. What constitutes a close pass &
b. What distance do officers state a motorist should provide a cyclist?
c. Does this distance vary dependent on motorist speed?
7. How many cycling close pass submissions by cyclidts, were received for the years 2019, 2020, 2021?
8. How many submissions were supported by video evidence?
9. Please can you provide a breakdown of how these submisdions were dealt with, how many led to: no action/ fpn/NIP/driver awareness/verbal advice?”
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with both the Operations and Corporate Development Departments of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
1. None during the period specified by your request, however we may consider such Operations in the future.
2. N/A as our response to point 1 is negative.
3. N/A as our response to point 1 is negative.
4. N/A as our response to point 1 is negative.
5. Advice provided would be in line with the highway code - When passing cyclists, give them plenty of room. Give them time and space to do so.
6. a. When passing/overtaking Vulnerable road users we would advise to give them plenty of space and time to overtake safely - A safe passing distance is considered to be a 1.5 Metres.
b. A safe passing distance is considered to be a 1.5 Metres.
c. We would consider all circumstances of any incident and would take into consideration the type of road / speed before any decision would be made on a close pass incident.