Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
1. Please reveal the total number of fatal road traffic accidents involving a motor car which were dealt with by your force in 2019.
2. Please reveal how many of these accidents led to criminal charges being issued.
3. Please reveal how many of the fatal accidents detailed in 1) involved a learner driver (provisional license holder) who was being supervised at the time of the accident.
4. Please reveal how many of the fatal accidents detailed in 3) led to criminal charges being issued.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Collision Records Department of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
3. From our records there were no learner drivers involved in a fatal RTC.
Every effort is made to ensure that the figures presented are accurate and complete. However, it is important to note that these data have been extracted from a number of data sources used by forces for police purposes. The detail collected to respond specifically to your request is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system. As a consequence, care should be taken to ensure data collection processes and their inevitable limitations are taken into account when interpreting those data.
The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.