Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
- How many speed and traffic (EG red-light) cameras is your police force responsible for that require calibration? Please specify the number of a) handheld speed b) fixed speed and c) traffic cameras.
- How many devices were found to be outside approved tolerances in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 to date? Please break these figures down both on year-by-year basis and, if possible, according to whether the devices found to be outside of tolerance are a) handheld speed b) fixed speed or c) traffic cameras. If you do not have historic data going back this far, please provide me with as much data as you have available.
- Please state whether your force has any process in place to either void, or in some other way treat differently, Penalty Charge Notices issued to motorists who were detected breaching traffic laws by devices that were subsequently found to be outside Home Office tolerances. Please also inform me what these processes are, if they exist.
- If possible, please inform me how many motorists were detected speeding by devices that were outside tolerance in the years set out above. Please provide a year-by-year breakdown.
- Please inform me how many speeding or traffic-offence PCNs were cancelled during the years in question (2014-present) as a result of cameras found to be outside of tolerance. Please provide a year-by-year breakdown of this data, together with a breakdown of whether these cancellations were for speeding or other traffic offences.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Camera Enforcement Unit (CEU) of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held, in part, by them.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
a. 12 handheld speed devices
b. 12 static speed cameras
c. 3 red light cameras
In addition, the CEU have 5 sets of mobile enforcement cameras.
2. Since 2014 I can confirm that none of the above cameras have failed annual calibration
3. No information held – these processes do not exist.
4. No motorists were detected speeding by devices that were outside tolerance in the years set out above. Our devices are calibrated annually and they would not be utilised if they were out of calibration.
5. No speeding or traffic-offence PCNs were cancelled during the years in question (2014-present) as a result of cameras found to be outside of tolerance. Our devices are calibrated annually and they would not be utilised if they were out of calibration.