The Visa Fingerprint Section will take fingerprints of members of the public who are currently residing in the UK, where they require Police Clearance and Good Conduct certificates from abroad.
Please read the following statement regarding Covid-19:
Due to advice from Public Health England around the Coronavirus, we are having to change the way we operate our fingerprint service for the purposes of DBS checks.
For the time being all fingerprint appointments will be suspended.
We thank you for your patience and want to reassure you that we are working in line with DBS to ensure that other, safer, identification methods are used in order to deal with identification queries.
Please do not attend any police station to request a fingerprint appointment.
You will receive further correspondence from DBS, or if you have any further queries, please contact our Disclosure Unit on 0191 4373100.
We provide fingerprints
- To obtain the Security Industry Authority (SIA) Licence to work within the security industry
- For non-UK citizens to work with children in the United Kingdom
- Foreign professional exams (i.e N-PLEX – nursing)
- For customers undergoing adoption procedures abroad, particularly in the USA
- For customers wishing to conduct business in or within the USA
- For people who own racehorses that will be trained in the USA
- As part of an evidence kit for people working in countries with unstable regimes
The Fingerprint Service does not offer services for
- Any criminal proceedings
- Passport validation
- Character enquiries / identity checks
Making an appointment
To book an appointment for your fingerprints to be taken, you need to contact the Visa Fingerprint Office by calling 101 then asking for extension 73839 for Forth Banks or 65028 for South Shields between the hours of 8:00am and 4:30pm Monday to Friday. The appointments line is closed on Saturdays and Sundays.
Once your appointment has been made the unit will confirm the date and time by email. If you need to cancel your appointment, please contact the numbers above as soon as possible.
Customers are required to make a payment for this service. Please see the charging section below for the cost of the fingerprints as you may have to pay tax, depending on the country requiring fingerprints.
When you ring to make an appointment the Visa Fingerprint Section will clarify the cost for you.
We can only accept cash as payment, which must be the exact amount, change cannot be given.
For VAT purposes, the service can be split into two areas:
- Business activity (VAT is applicable at a standard rate), this is where an individual can get the service from police forces or other commercial entities of their choosing.
- Non-business activity (VAT exempt), this is where the individual must get the fingerprint from a police force as specified in their VISA application. The countries requiring fingerprinting from the police are:
- Abu Dhabi
- United Arab Emirates (UAE)
- St-Vincent and Grenadines
- For all fingerprinting classed as business, the charge should be made plus VAT i.e financial year 2019/2020 fees are: £79.70 + £15.94 VAT= £95.64. First set and £39.80 + £7.96 VAT = £47.76 additional set
- For the non-business VISA application, the charge should be £77.90 (no VAT) for the first set and £39.80 (no VAT) for additional sets thereafter.
No, you must telephone and book an appointment in advance. Please ring 101 and speak to either Forth Banks station on extension 36236 or South Shields station on extension 65028.
Documents required by the customer are:
- Current passport
- Full new style UK Driving Licence with photograph and counterpart from D740
- Utility bill or bank statements to verify address
If your passport is being held by the Home Office, a letter and a photocopy of your passport is acceptable providing that is has been officially stamped. A covering letter on its own is not acceptable. You may also request for your passport to be released from the Home Office for 24 hours to enable your fingerprints to be taken.
The documents needed vary depending on the purpose of the fingerprinting service. Please see the advice above. We can confirm the requirements when you book an appointment.
People working in the security industry, who have taken the SIA course, will require their fingerprints to be taken in order to obtain their licence. Please see above for further information on how to make a booking.
You are required to bring along the following documents:
- SIA Certificate or proof of completion of course
- Current passport
Plus one of the following if applicable:
- A covering letter from your employer, or if self-employed, proof of business ownership
- Security Work ID Pass with photograph
The Visa Fingerprint Section normally provides standard fingerprint forms, but in some cases the country (E.g. USA, Canada and Japan) or organisation who have requested your fingerprints require their own specific fingerprint forms which they will provide, please bring any such forms with you.