Lost, found and seized property

Northumbria Police do not take reports of lost property and cannot issue a reference number. However, if the item you’ve lost is dangerous, hazardous or can cause harm, please contact us immediately.

If you have lost an item of property, we recommend that you make reasonable enquiries in the area. If lost on public transport, we recommend you contact the operator. If you have lost the item in a shopping centre, pub, leisure centre etc., contact the premises directly.

We recommend registering your property for free at https://www.secureassetregister.com/en-gb it only takes a few minutes and could help you get your property back if it is lost or stolen. Don’t forget to upload photos for free too!

Passports and driving licences

If you are reporting a lost or stolen foreign national passport, please visit your local police station in person. Please check station opening times here before you attend.

Any other passports or driving licences should be reported directly to the Passport Office online or DVLA online.

Please note, if a passport or drivers licence is handed into the police station, they will be forwarded on to the DVLA or Passport Office. They will not be returned to members of the public for security measures.

Found property

Northumbria Police do not routinely accept items of found property. However if you find any of the following items, then please hand them in to the nearest police station:

  • Any item that is illegal to possess, such as drugs or firearms
  • Identifiable items such as passports or driving licences
  • Items of high value or significant sentimental value
  • Items which store electronic data such as mobile phones, laptops etc.
  • Large quantities of cash

Most public service organisations have their own lost/found property department. They should always be contacted in the first instance.

We recommend recording any lost or found property at https://www.secureassetregister.com/en-gb or Report my Loss.

Seized Property

If you have had property seized by police and would like to query its return, you must contact and speak with the officer in charge directly. You can make contact with the officer using our Seized Property Update form.


I’ve lost my phone and need a reference number for my insurance company

Northumbria Police do not issue reference numbers for lost property. You can obtain a lost property reference number if you report your lost phone at secureassetregister.com

I had my property seized and want it returned as the case is no longer ongoing

You must contact the officer in charge of the case directly to discuss the return of the property. Usually the officer will arrange for a letter to be sent to your last known home address informing you to contact Northumbria Police to arrange a collection. This letter will usually contain a property reference number with details stating where to collect the property from. 

back to top