If you’re a foreign national, you may need to register with us shortly after you arrive.
If this is the case, it should be written on your entry-visa vignette (the one stuck inside your passport which allowed you enter the UK), or your Home Office letter approving your application for leave to remain. However if your visa is for more than six months then you should apply to register with the police regardless of the wording on your entry-visa vignette.
Find out more below about who needs to register with us, who is exempt and how to get a police registration certificate (PRC).
If you are from one of the countries listed below then you must complete the online application within seven days of collecting your BRP card: DO NOT APPLY UNTIL YOU HAVE COLLECTED YOUR BRP CARD as you need to upload a picture of the UK Entry Visa Vignette AND your BRP card together.
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Hong Kong, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Macao, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen.
- QUARANTINE in the UK is MANDATORY if you are from one of countries on the UK Government list.
- There is NO penalty for applying to register with the police outside of the usual seven day arrival rule if you have to quarantine upon arrival.
- This means that you MUST not leave your accommodation until your quarantine period ends.
- After this you can collect your BRP card and then apply to register with the police within seven days of collecting your BRP card.
- Failure to comply with these regulations may result in your arrest and render you liable to a fine of £5000 and/or up to six months imprisonment.
- If you have any dependants over the age of 16 then you must complete a separate application for each of them and attach a copy of their UK entry visa.
- Once your application has been received you will receive an email within 10 days confirming your appointment. If you do not receive an email within the 10 days confirming your appointment please send a new application.
- If you have registered with the police but not in Newcastle then you must submit an application.
If you have previously registered
- If you have previously registered with Northumbria Police and have changed any of the following details, do not submit an online application is this is only for new arrivals.
- your address
- changed your school/college/university/course
- marital status
- or have been granted a new visa for the UK including a new BRP (biometric card)
- Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an appointment by stating your full name and Police Registration Certificate number and the reason why you need an appointment.
If you have not previously registered but have already extended your stay
- If you arrived in the UK on a short term visa that did not stipulate that you need to register with the police and you have now received a new visa/BRP to continue your stay in the UK then you must complete the online application. Complete the online form here
Please be aware that you are required to upload a copy of your visa information when you complete the application.
We advise that you take a photograph of your UK Entry visa AND BRP card (if you have one) together and upload the one photograph with both visa’s showing. Please upload your document in PDF format.
If you are unable to complete the online form
- We recommend using Google Chrome to complete the form.
- For any other assistance or technical query please contact us by email on: email@example.com
Overseas registration is not the same as requiring a Criminal Record Checks for Employment, Police Certificates and Subject access requests.
If you have any dependants over the age of 16 years then a separate online application must be completed for each person and copy of their UK entry visa attached to the application.
Please try again without using the Apple Safari browser. Try an alternative browser such as Chrome or Google.
The processing time is usually 10 days. If it has been longer please re-submit your application.
If you have previously registered with Northumbria Police and just need to amend some details, you do not need to submit a new application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an appointment by stating your full name and Police Registration Certificate number and also the reason why you need an appointment.