Your local council’s civil enforcement officers are responsible for enforcing parking regulations, including double yellow lines, permit only parking or other restrictions.

If there are no regulations in place but vehicles are parked in a dangerous position or in circumstances that cause an obstruction, then the police may contact the keeper and request that they move the vehicle. The Highway Code outlines rules for parking and waiting, breaching these rules can incur a fine.

Local councils have an appeals process if you wish to dispute a parking fine issued to you. All questions and disputes regarding council parking tickets, broken machines or problems with council car parks should be directed to the relevant department.

Tickets issues on private property such as hospitals, supermarkets or private car parks can only be considered by the private company who hold the contract for the premises, the details of the company should be clearly displayed on the signage at the location.


Who can I report a parking issue to?

You should report a parking issue to your local council initially if parking restrictions are already in place in the area. Contact details for your local council can be located at the bottom of this page. If the vehicle is causing an immediate obstruction to pedestrians or to other road users, please pass the colour, make, model, registration and location to Northumbria Police on 101 who will attempt to make contact with the keeper.

What is civil parking enforcement?

Civil parking enforcement allows the councils to enforce the regulations in place to make sure everyone parks correctly and safely whereever parking restrictions exist. Civil enforcement officers, sometimes known as traffic wardens or parking attendants are employed by the local council, not the police.

Can someone park outside of my house?

Do you have any parking restrictions in place, such as double yellow lines? If so you can report these parking offences to your local council by phone or online. They have the powers to enforce parking issues. If there are no restrictions in place and the vehicle is taxed and parked on a public road, it is not committing a parking offence and is legally permitted to park there. The road outside your house does not belong to the property and is public land. You can check if a vehicle has valid tax and MOT yourself online by visiting the Gov website and entering the vehicle registration.

A car has been parked in my street for a while, is it abandoned or stolen?

Please report concerns to your local council by phone or submitting an online form. They will make enquiries into the circumstances and check if the vehicle has valid tax, MOT and insurance. They will liaise with the police and confirm the vehicle is not stolen. You will need to provide the vehicle colour, make, model, registration and location. Please also note if there is any damage to the vehicle which may indicate the reason why it has remained at this location, such as a flat tyre or possible involvement in a road traffic collision.

Can someone park on the pavement?

A vehicle may partially park on the pavement to avoid a road obstruction so long as this does not cause an obstruction on the footpath for a pedestrian. Access for a pushchair or wheelchair must be possible on the footpath. If access for pedestrians is not possible and they are forced to enter the road to pass by, this vehicle is causing an obstruction. If there are any parking restrictions already in place in the area, such as double yellow lines, permit only parking or other parking signage, please report this to the local council who will attend and enforce the restrictions. If no other such restrictions are in place, please contact us with the vehicle colour, make model, vehicle registration and location. We will attempt to make keeper enquiries.

Someone has parked in my private/allocated bay or land, who can I report this to?

Your local council and Northumbria Police have no powers to remove a vehicle that is parked on private property. This is a civil issue. The protection of Freedoms Act 2012 placed a ban on vehicle clamping and removals on private land without lawful authority. If you feel the vehicle is possibly abandoned, report your concerns to your local council initially who will make checks. If the vehicle does not meet the council’s criteria for abandoned, you should seek legal advice from a solicitor or the Citizen’s Advice Bureau.

Can cars park on grass verges?

There may be a local by-law to specifically prevent cars parking on council owned grass verges, in which there should be a sign displayed. Speak to your local council for more information. If the land is privately owned and the landowner has given permission then it would be permitted.

Do parking tickets go on your record?

Parking tickets are non-moving violations and are assigned to the vehicle or the vehicle’s registered owner, not the driver. Therefore they’re not associated with your personal driving record and will not affect your insurance.

What’s the difference between a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) and a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN)?

A Penalty Charge Notice is issued by your local council, usually by a civil enforcement officer and can be for parking, breaking traffic rules, for example driving down a bus lane. A FPN can be issued by the police, local council or Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA). The main difference is that Fixed Penalty Notices are often followed up with criminal prosecution if the penalty is not paid.

How do I dispute the parking ticket?

We recommend you follow procedure guidelines set by the issuing body, either local authority or private company and pursue your dispute as advised within the time frame suggested. Private parking companies can make you pay by taking court action, usually through the small claims court.

Example situations

Vehicles are regularly parked outside a school in breach of the road markings to drop off children.

Solution: Contact your local council parking enforcement and report the matter.

A vehicle is regularly parking in a restricted zone, displaying a disabled blue badge, however the vehicle is not driven by the badge holder and the badge holder is not present in the vehicle.

Solution: This is an offence and should be reported to your local council.

A vehicle has blocked by car in and I urgently need to pick my child up from school.

Solution: Make reasonable attempts to locate the driver by knocking on neighbouring properties and making enquiries. If unsuccessful, contact the police on 101 who will attempt to contact the keeper.


back to top