Please be aware we’re making some improvements and building a new website. You can still report incidents, tell us about general intelligence or talk to us on live chat on this site. Thanks for your patience.

Drunken thug jailed after brutally assaulting shop-worker with a metal pole
20 Jun | 11:05

Scott Wilson, 30, assaulted a shop-worker at the One Stop Shop in Sunderland following a drunken outburst in May

A drunken thug who brutally assaulted a shop-worker with a metal pole has been jailed.

Scott Wilson, 30, stumbled into the One Stop store on Harbour View, Sunderland, at around 10.15pm on May 20.

After claiming he himself had been the victim of a robbery, Wilson then saw red and became aggressive towards staff asking whether they were going to “get the police”.

Threatened by Wilson’s unpredictable manner, an employee pressed them panic button which alerts security staff at a separate location. The intoxicated offender then attacked the victim with a metal pole, before reigning down punches on him.

Wilson, of Kensington Terrace, Gateshead, pleaded guilty to inflicting assault occasioning actual bodily harm after appearing at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court last month (May 22).

Yesterday (Wednesday), he was back in the dock at Newcastle Crown Court and was jailed for 12 months.

PC Lilley, of Northumbria Police, said: “Scott Wilson might have been under the influence of alcohol that night, but this does not justify his violent and disgraceful actions.

“The victim was subjected to a frightening ordeal which saw him sustain a number of serious injuries as a result of the unprovoked assault against him.

“I would like to thank the victim of this case for his cooperation, and would like to reiterate that we take violent behaviour such as this incredibly seriously.

“We will not tolerate behaviour of this kind and will actively pursue perpetrators to ensure they are brought to justice.”

When police attended the store, they found employee Mark Beveridge lying on the floor with blood around his nose, cuts to his face and a bruised ear. He was taken to hospital for treatment.

Following his arrest, in police interview, Wilson admitted he was intoxicated at the time of the incident and said he was “disgusted” by his behaviour.

In an impact statement, Mr Beveridge said: "Since the incident, I am struggling to sleep properly and I am having regular flashbacks.

"Whilst the male was assaulting me, I did not attack the male because I thought I would lose my job. I did try to stay on my feet for as long as I could, as I felt that the male would stamp on my head and cause me serious injuries due to how aggressive he was towards me."

Wilson now begins a stretch behind bars.

back to top