Violent thug who assaulted woman and glassed Good Samaritan is jailed
22 Oct | 10:54
A violent thug has been jailed after he brutally assaulted a woman in an unprovoked attack and glassed a Good Samaritan who came to her aid.
Fidel Lewis, 27, had been drinking with his friends at Livello bar in Newcastle city centre when he got into the altercation in July last year.
A court was told how one of his friends had asked a 26-year-old woman who he did not know if she wanted to accompany him back to his hotel.
She refused his advances and walked up Dean Street with her friends and a 29-year-old man who she met at the club.
Lewis and his friend followed them up the street and continued to pester the group before the thug launched a violent and unprovoked attack on the woman.
Witnesses watched on in horror as the brute punched her and left her unconscious on the ground.
The 29-year-old man who the victim had met minutes before then tried to intervene but Lewis smashed a brandy bottle over his head.
He then repeatedly stabbed and slashed the Good Samaritan before returning to kick and stamp on the female victim as she lay motionless on the ground.
Lewis fled the scene and both his victims were rushed to hospital by paramedics.
The woman was treated for bruising and swelling but the male victim was left with permanent nerve damage in his arms after suffering severe ligament damage.
Police were called and Lewis was later arrested nearby by officers who found him still wearing a shirt that was covered in the blood of his victims. 
He was later charged with one count of wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm and one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm. 
Lewis, of De Salle Drive, Sheffield, pleaded guilty to both offences and was jailed for seven years and four months at Teesside Crown Court last Wednesday.
Following the case, investigating officer Detective Constable Warren Taylor welcomed the significant sentence handed down by the judge.
He said: “This was a sustained and brutal attack on two innocent victims who had been minding their own business at the end of a night out in Newcastle.
“The woman in this case has repeatedly asked Lewis and his friends to leave her alone which has led to an unprovoked assault in the middle of the street.
“He has then savagely attacked a Good Samaritan who came to her aid and his bravery has left him with permanent damage to his arms.
“This has been a horrific experience for the victims in this case and they will no doubt live with the trauma of the attack for the rest of their lives.
“I want to praise them for their bravery, particularly considering that this case has taken over a year to come to a close at court.
“I welcome the lengthy sentence handed to Lewis by the court and hope the outcome is of some comfort to his victims.”  
The violent assault took place at 3.30am on July 22, 2018, on Dean Street in Newcastle city centre. 

In a victim impact statement, the male victim told the court that the attack had left him unable to drive or to work.

He said: “This was the first night out I had had in over two months. I just went out to have a fun night, not to end up like this, not to fight.

“I did not ask for this and I did not deserve this.”

back to top