Overseas visitors registration

If you’re a foreign national, you may need to register with us shortly after you arrive.

If this is the case, it should be written on your entry-visa vignette (an extra page stuck in your passport), biometric residence permit (BRP) or your Home Office letter approving your application for leave. However if your visa is for more than six months then you should apply to register with the police regardless of the wording on your entry-visa vignette.

Find out more below about who needs to register with us, who is exempt and how to get a police registration certificate (PRC).

Please note

  • If you don’t register with the police when you're required to do so, that is an offence under Section 26(1) (f) of the Immigration Act 1971. You could be fined up to £5,000 and/or put in prison for six months.
  • Your current or any further application for stay in the UK could also be affected.


back to top